Cindy Lou

Journal to share my thoughts and daily events with friends and family
in my journey through Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML).

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New graft vs host

Sorry I have not written for so long, our computer was down for about 3 weeks. Kyle was on the phone with technical support for about an hour and finally got it going again. Had my monthly appt with with Dr Kalaycio on Monday and he is putting me back on the Prednisone. He told me at my Feb appt that if I lost any more weight I would have to go back on it because he thought I was having some symptoms of graft vs host of the GI tract. I have been having difficulty swallowing anything except liguids and he said that graft vs host can cause narrowing of the esophagus, causing this symptom. Also, I am just not hungry, so I have to force myself to eat the little bits I do eat. I lost 7 pounds this month and 11 last month. Kyle has been making me delicious milkshakes, but even that has not helped. Consequently, the Dr is going to do an EGD on Friday, March 2 to get a biopsy of my stomach and esophagus to confirm his diagnosis of GVHD. The EGD involves putting a scope down my throat and taking small pieces of tissue from my stomach and esophagus. Also, while they are in there they will stretch my esophagus so it will be easier for me to swallow. I know this may sound like a lot to all of you, but I would rather have this than the liver biopsy they were talking about a few months ago. Also, this is nothing compared to what some of my bone marrow buddies have been going through. I feel fortunate that after my initial setbacks early in my recovery, I have been doing pretty good, and I am the only one that has gone back to work so far! I feel that is an accomplishment in itself! Even though I am not working many hours yet, it has been wonderful for my psychological well being. So, thank you for all the prayers and love that have gotten me this far. I am eternally grateful!

3 Comments:

  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Kyle Roth said…

    You are doing great Mom. Just think positive and you will make it through fine. Look how far you've come already.

    Love,
    KD

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cindy,
    You are an inspiration to all of us. Keep up the good work.
    Love
    Debbie & Andy

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Cindy,

    So good to hear from you again. We saw Kyle and Marcie last night at the Elk's and Kyle said you were going to have have the test and procedure that you mention in your blog done on Friday. We continue to keep you in our daily thoughts and prayers. Please stop over anytime the view is beautiful.

    Love & prayers,
    Ed & Cindy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home